Gold, frankincense, and myrrh — they may not be underneath your Christmas tree this year, but maybe they should be…
Much mention has been made of the spiritual significance of the gifts of the three wise men, the Magi. Frankincense is mentioned 15 times in the Bible, and myrrh is mentioned some 17 times. Biblical kings greatly valued gold, and the precious metal is still highly valued today.
But did you ever think about the health benefits of these three gifts for someone suffering from cancer in today’s modern day? The answer might surprise you.
Gold has been used as a medicine for thousands of years. And recent discoveries show that gold is excellent at absorbing X-rays. Loading tumors with gold can increase the efficiency of the body’s ability to handle radiation therapy.
In the second century A.D., a Chinese author and alchemist known as Wei Boyang is believed to have written: “Gold is the most valuable thing in all the world because it is immortal and never gets rotten. Alchemists eat it, and they enjoy longevity.” Nearly two millennia later, the precious metal may live up to the hype: It’s part of a cutting-edge approach to prolong the lives of cancer patients.
Known to some as the “king of oils,” frankincense is derived from sap found most often in trees commonly found in Middle Eastern countries, such as Oman and Yemen, and African countries, such as Somalia and Ethiopia.
This sap is thought to have a number of medicinal properties, making it a staple in many herbal and alternative therapies. Some research has suggested that frankincense oil may be a natural way to treat certain kinds of cancer. More research is necessary to determine whether this is a viable treatment option, as well as whether there are short- and long-term effects associated with its use.
There is some evidence that myrrh may be toxic to cancer cells. One study tested compounds derived from myrrh and found that the compounds inhibited the proliferation of prostate cancer cells.
The information provided is not to be considered medical advice or an endorsement of any particular treatment, but is for informational purposes only. Always consult your physician for medical advice.
- How Doctors Are Harnessing the Power of Gold to Fight Cancer – Can the precious metal hold the key to killing cancerous cells?: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/how-doctors-harnessing-power-gold-fight-cancer-180949436/
- What Is Frankincense?: https://www.livescience.com/25670-what-is-frankincense.html
- Can Frankincense Treat Cancer?: https://www.healthline.com/health/cancer/frankincense-and-cancer
- Health Benefits of Gold, Frankincense, and Myrrh: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323861.php#1
- Frankincense Health Study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6544398/
- Myrrh and Frankincense essential oil (study): https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3796379/
- 11 Surprising Benefits and Uses of Myrrh Oil: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/myrrh-oil
- There Is More to Frankincense and Myrrh Than Meets The Eye: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/chemically-theres-lot-more-frankincense-and-myrrh-meets-eye-180953727/
Eat healthy, wherever you are! The Templeton List – Your Guide To The Healthiest Restaurants in America – helps you find and choose the healthiest restaurants, so you can eat out without sacrificing your health or peace of mind. Check it out at https://www.templetonlist.com/